Sunday, September 21, 2008

Snoring etiquette

I'll be the first to admit that I have snoring down to a fine art. My snoring doesn't bother me - I sleep like a log. But it's driven my poor hubby to the spare room on more than one occasion.

Pyjama party
But I have to confess I have become more than a little worried about some news I received on Friday.

As a team bonding exercise, we are going to be spending a couple of days at one of our local marae in December. [A marae is a Maori community meeting place, not dissimilar to a church]. This is going to involve staying over night, sleeping on mattresses in one common sleeping area.

Team bonding?
I know my snoring is going to annoy everyone, and if we don't get our sleep, we'll be much less likely to want to 'bond'.

So what to do? What is the etiquette for this situation?


Image: 'Figures on Te Marae' pietroizzo
www.flickr.com/photos/22443621@N00/51861353

11 comments:

willie campbell said...

sarah
all marae have sleepers that snore- it goes with the human condition.
First line of defense seems to be to make sure you get a sleep space at either end of the communal line, on the basis that you snore.
second line seems to be to stay up all night playing cards, so not snoring at all.'
third line seems to be asking if there is a separarate room,. often kept for kaumatua who are very old/frail and/or have a disability.
outside of that, you just smile through it.

Sarah Stewart said...

Ummm, Willie, I think I might go with the fact that I have a disability and get my own room :)

Anonymous said...

Supply earplugs for your fellow sleeping companions! The little foamy ones are usually very inexpensive. Also, I bet you're not the only snorer, so bringing earplugs will help them too!

Sarah Stewart said...

It's just a little humiliating admitting that you snore as it isn't a very lady-like occupation!

M-H said...

There are various 'remedies' at the chemist (little plugs for the nose etc). Maybe these would be a good way to cut down on the amount of noise you produce! But snoring isn't very good for you, you know. Maybe you should find out why you snore so much...?

Sarah Stewart said...

Why isn't snoring good for you, M-H?

M-H said...

Not wanting to scare you, but...
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2003/s1013679.htm
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/99153.php
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7272651.stm

If I were a loud snorer, I'd be getting it checked out. Just sayin'...

Sarah Stewart said...

Crickey, m-h, now you've really put the wind up me. I'll have to get my mates to check my blood pressure! :)

willie campbell said...

oh my god. are we4 into sleep apnoea here??? ususally mentioned along with Type 2 diabetes.
Sarah- just go with the flow.

Sarah Stewart said...

I'll be lucky if I'm still alive by December!

M-H said...

I really didn't mean to scare you. But it's not just the apnoea, (which I think is a disease du jour and probably isn't as dangerous as is being promoted); it's the lack of oxygen that is actually caused by the snoring that is the problem long term. I used to snore badly, but had a small op to straighten my nasal passages plus strong treatment for allergies. The snoring has stopped completely.