Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sustainable Christmas

I just looooovvvvveeee Christmas lights! I would be one of those mad people who have lights all over the house and enter competitions. But my hubby won't let me - he says we can't afford the electricity bill.

Solar lights
In a bid to be environmentally friendly and do my bit for a sustainable Christmas, I bought some solar lights that you plant in the garden. But hubby won't let me put them in the garden because of the danger of them being nicked. So I've got a lovely pile of boxes in my hall way.


I've had my eye on solar fairy lights for some time but they have been extremely hard to come by, and very expensive. But today, I found them for sale in a big local department store and bought a box of 139 lights.

The beauty of these is that I can string them high up on the roof to prevent them getting stolen - or at least, I can get hubby to climb a very tall ladder and string them high on the roof!

So now I'm happy - I can have as many pretty flickering Christmas lights as I like strung about the house without worrying about melting the Arctic ice cap. All I want now is someone to invent one of those big Father Christmas arrangements out of solar lights. If you know where I can get something like it, please let me know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just bought our first home and my husband wants to go buy Christmas lights tonight. I haven't seen any solar powered lights, but now I'm going to look for them!

Sarah Stewart said...

The only way they were available to me up to now was through American web sites like Amazon. So if you look around, I'm sure you'd find them some where. They're pretty basic at the moment, but I am sure they'll get more sophisticated as time goes by. I just love them!

Sarah Stewart said...

I got them in Kmart, Dunedin - 20% off.

They're not available in 'The Warehouse' yet, which surprises me.

ruthdemitroff said...

Tell your husband that Christmas lights are especially important during times of economic downturns as they cheer passerbys up and keep the community's mental health from taking a winter nosedive.

Sarah Stewart said...

I will - he's just an old misery! :)

Carolyn said...

You are mad! You live in New Zealand where you have to wait until about 10 o'clock at night before you can even see them ;)

Sarah Stewart said...

I dont care!! :)

Sarah Stewart said...

I 'll have you know, Carolyn, that the lights started flashing at 21.40 last night!