Monday, October 26, 2009

Sad news for Dunedin

Just as I got back to Dunedin I was very sad to hear that Otago Polytechnic is closing one of the community learning centers and loosing a number of staff from them. These learning centres have been a fabulous resource for the Dunedin community, offering free computer courses that range from how to use Trademe to national computing certificates. My understanding is that these centers have always been well utilised by the local community over the years.

I must admit I don't know all the ins and outs but I believe that government funding for free courses has been cut, so Otago Polytechnic cannot afford to fund the learning centers from it's own budget.

What a shame we are using such a valuable community service in Dunedin. But never mind.....we've got the new stadium to look forward to.

No comments: