Saturday, March 13, 2010

Biting off more than I can chew this weekend?

This weekend I am giving two presentations at the Virtual Worlds – Best Practices in Education conference in Second Life.

Virtual birth unit
The first presentation is called
Integrating Second Life into Blended Undergraduate Midwifery Education. In it I will talk about the development of the virtual birth unit. The presentation will be at Sunday 14th March 9am (NZ time) at VWBPE EAST 1 in Second Life.

Health communication
For the second presentation I will be part of a health panel that will be discussing Virtual World Education for Healthcare Communication. I will be focusing on how I see the virtual birth unit developing in the future in terms of international collaborative and cooperative midwifery education. This round table will be held at 1pm Sunday 14th March 4pm (NZ time) at VWBPE WEST1.

Feeling very nervous
My aim for going to the conference is to continue to broadcast the work being done in the birth unit and generate interest in collaboration. I have to say that I am feeling extremely nervous and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. I went to a session the other day about how to be a speaker and was highly intimidated about all the technical talk. I am very mindful that I am still a beginner in Second Life compared to many of the people who will be going to the conference. But I guess I can only do what I can do, and will keep things very simple to encourage interaction. Wish me luck!!

Going to the conference
If you'd like to go to the conference but you are not sure where to go, you are welcome to come along with me - just be aware that I'll focused on my presentations to be much or any help with how to use Second Life.

5 comments:

Kate said...

lots of really interested people at the presentation on the other OB clinic session just now. am sure it will be fine, and inspiring! sadly, i think i'll be asleep, but i hope it goes well!

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks Kate...and thanks for help with slides & info box...learned heaps in just 30 mins, even it was midnight at your place :)

Perplexity Peccable said...

You will be great! I have every confidence, really. People were talking about you today, and are interested. :)

Perplexity Peccable said...

PS - misplaced your email. See you tomorrow :)

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks Perplexity. I'm hoping everything will work out - I have been losing my internet connection all day because of very fierce winds - hopefully it will settle over night.